Hi. My name is Rod Saunders, and I’m the owner of Jew and Greek. I’m a musician, web developer, and a student of philosophy and economics. I recently published my first book on Amazon entitled Defending the Faith: Word of Faith Apologetics. It’s a response to the numerous charges against and misrepresentations of the Word of Faith movement and theology. I also have a CD of original music on CD Baby entitled Gates of Pearl.
I have worked in IT off and on for twenty years. I built my first website in 1999, and have built many more since. My blogging career started in 2011 when I began writing about a hard currency scam. The site became very popular, but I felt that it had run its course and I wanted to put my research and writing skills to better use, so I started this site.
“Jew and Greek” is a good name because the two civilizations that influenced Western civilization the most were those of the Judeo-Christian and Greek worlds. From the Jews we received our values and a monotheistic theology, and from the Greeks we got philosophy which brought us science, sports, the arts, democracy, and economics. As a result I discuss all of the above in this blog and in my videos. I write most of the material here, but occasionally I’ll publish something from a guest writer.
While I do my best to be tolerant of the views of others and as gracious as possible when I disagree with them, I do feel that it’s necessary to establish for my readers a frame of reference for what I write. I am a born again Christian, and I affirm all of the essential doctrines of the faith. I was raised Southern Baptist and was baptized at the age of eight. In my twenties I attended bible school which gave me an appreciation for theology. After I graduated I began studying many other subjects on my own, including philosophy, political science, economics, and the origins of the universe and man.
- Regarding philosophy, I have an appreciation for the ancient Greeks and how they began the quest to understand the nature of life and the material world, but of course as a Christian I realize that man is limited in his capacity to comprehend these things. That revelation has been provided for us by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in the Holy Bible.
- Regarding theology, I am a Charismatic/Neo-Pentecostal with an Arminian view on sovereignty and a limited acceptance of dispensationalism.
- Regarding political science, I believe in democracy but of course I recognize its limitations. Socrates didn’t believe that the masses were capable of governing themselves, and to a certain extent I agree. They can only do so to the extent that they remain informed. That’s why our founding fathers stated that a well-informed citizenry was necessary for our survival as free people. My ideology is somewhat complicated, and I tend to offend people on both sides of the spectrum. I am conservative on most issues, although I have many libertarian leanings as well. While many people become more conservative as they get older, I have actually become more liberal. Above all as a Christian I absolutely reject partisanship of any kind. All issues and all candidates should be accepted or rejected on their own merits.
- Regarding economics, I believe in capitalism but again I must qualify that with the fact that human nature being what it is requires that there be some regulatory oversight. Unbridled capitalism will not work, as we saw in the economic crash that led to the Great Depression.
- Regarding origins, I have mixed views on the origin of the universe. While I certainly don’t believe that the universe created itself through a random event, I’m not committed to a time frame or process by which God created everything. I do not believe in macro-evolution (evolution across species) but I do believe in micro-evolution (gradual adaptations within species).
In addition to being a close friend, Marcus Curtis has worked for a Fortune 500 company for twenty-five years. He has a strong background in economics, apologetics, and bible prophecy. He currently runs two blogs called Iraq Currency Watch and Biblical Views and World Economics. Also a musician, Marcus has a website dedicated to helping musicians develop their guitar playing and promote their music called Marcus Curtis Music.
Supporting J & G
This is a for-profit venture so I don’t accept donations. If you like the work that I do and want to support it, just buy my stuff. Tell other people about the blog. Watch my YouTube videos. Invite me to speak at your meetings. The more revenues I get from my online efforts the more time I will have to devote to them. Thanks.
My Other Websites
Rod Saunders – My personal website where I feature my music.
English Audios – A website where I teach English as a foreign langauge.
Why Christianity – My Christian Apologetics website.